Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U. S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
In the 1920's a viaduct was built over Alabama street to help relieve traffic congestion. The old Alabama street was named Lower Alabama Street and the new street created over the viaduct was named Upper Alabama Street. Businesses moved their shops to the upper level and the lower level was mostly neglected. In 1968 the area was declared a historic site and in 1969 Underground Atlanta opened in Lower Alabama Street as an entertainment district. The district was closed in 1980 due to rampant crime but revitalized and reopened in 1989.